cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer license to another appliance?

sloppy_poppy_
New Contributor

transfer license to another appliance?

We have an old SA1000 that hasnt been turned on for over 2 years after we upgraded to an SA4000. Well both are out of warrantee and the SA4000 died on us. I have a printscreen showing the license keys for the various modules (i.e. number of simultaneous users). Is there anyway I can transfer those licenses onto the old SA1000? We are dead in the water. What about moving the SA4000's harddrive into the SA1000? I'm assuming the OS running on the SA4000 wont support the old hardware, but just asking if anyone has been through this scenario.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
dennish_
Occasional Contributor

Re: transfer license to another appliance?

I usually use https://www.juniper.net/lcrs/generateRMA.do to do this for devices that have been RMAed to transfer the license.

I suppose you don't have a RMA number an can't use this procedure. Also you use a different model appliance to transfer to...

If you would transfer it to a same model appliance, i suppose customer care might do a tranfer for you, but i can't imagine they would for a move from 1000 to a 4000...

Automate_
Frequent Contributor

I spoke with our Customer Care team - there are a couple of options. The best is probably to go ahead and repair the SA4000 - I don't know how ecpensive that would be but they should be able to give you some estimates.I don't imagine it will be very expensive in the context of replacing it outright. So contact them for more details. 

If that's not an option, we can try to get you a new license, but no guarantees there on what that might cost - licenses are locked to the chassis so we have to get you a new one. And the SA4000 is a vastly better box so worth reviving.

All of this complexity is why we can't emphasize enough the importance of a support contract. This would have been a "piece of cake" if you had one.

Regards,

-Keith

sloppy_poppy_
New Contributor

Good enough. Thank you!