Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

user bookmarks and installers

New Contributor

user bookmarks and installers

Hi all,

I have 2 different questions:

1) when a user creates his own bookmark, it becomes what is called a "user bookmark", instead of a "role bookmark", right ?
Where are these bookmarks stored? Can you look them up in the admin management webinterface ?
In what circumstances are these user bookmarks removed? What happens to them for instance when you do a firmware upgrade?

2) when you're using installers, are they compatible with newer firmware versions or backwards compatible with older firmware versions? Is there a way to upgrade the installers when there is a compatibilty issue?
What happens for instance when (a doom scenario, I know, but still) you have to connect to 2 different SA devices that are running a different firmware version? Do you need to upgrade/downgrade your installers manually all the time?
2 REPLIES 2
Frequent Contributor

Re: user bookmarks and installers

2.) What kind of installers do you especially mean? HostChecker, WSAM etc? I had no problems also acros IVE OS version, e.g. our Testsystem has mostly a newer OS than our productive cluster. So depending on which machine I access HC or WSAM or NC deinstalled and reinstalled perfectly without any problems.
As far as I know you won't be able to downgrade the installer itself. Because even you deinstalled it an reinstalled a older one on a machine it will update itself on the next access, but maybe there's a kind of hack to realize this instead of downgrade the whole SA.
Respected Contributor

Re: user bookmarks and installers

1) You are correct, that is called a user bookmark. It is stored on the IVE in the user profile. This can be found at Authentication>Auth Servers>servername>Users. This profile here contains the user bookmarks and any other customization that is done.
As an admin it is not possible for you to see what bookmarks users have configured in their profile.
These bookmarks are deleted when the user profile is deleted or if the user removes them manually.
When you do a firmware upgrade, the bookmarks are preserved for use in the new OS by the users.

2) Which installer are you using? Are you using the application-specific installer or the Juniper Installer Service? If you are using the application-specific installers, it would be best to upgrade those each time you do a firmware upgrade; however, you may not need to do this. If you are concerned about users and admin rights, it is most efficient for you and your users if you are able to install the Juniper Installer Service as it is forward- and backward-compatible. It will allow your to move between versions successfully and not worry about access rights/privileges.