cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the external company intercept our data in this particular scenario?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Can the external company intercept our data in this particular scenario?

This treat applies to the desktop version of Pulse in particular. Thus I copied my request into this sub-cummunity. 

One of our customers would like us to install Pulse Secure DESKTOP CLIENT on our laptops to communicate with each other and transfer files in encrypted form (through its website).

We are concerned that activating Pulse Secure will now forward all data traffic (even data that is not related to our customers business) through the customers network. Is industrial espionage even possible in this special case?

As far as I understand:

• Pulse Secure Application Manager is SSL Portal VPN - allows for a single SSL connection to a website
  • Pulse Secure Desktop Client is SSL Tunnel VPN -  allows a Web browser to securely access multiple network services that may not just be web-based, through a tunnel.

Is my understanding correct?

Looking for a technical description of how Pulse Secure works (application and desktop client).

Thanky so much for help!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Can the external company intercept our data in this particular scenario?

@percy wrote:

Looking for a technical description of how Pulse Secure works (application and desktop client).

There is no simple answer: it will be controlled by how they have configured their connection. In the simple case, all of your traffic will be routed via their gateway when you have the client enabled, so you should ask them about the routing policies which they will enforce, and which applications you will need to access.

There is a lot of documentation available online, for both the client, and for the connection gateway itself, but you should ask them how they have configured the connection:

https://www-prev.pulsesecure.net/techpubs/pulse-client/pulse-secure-client-desktop/9.1Rx

https://www-prev.pulsesecure.net/techpubs/pulse-connect-secure/pcs/9.1Rx

Also note this is not a formal support channel - IT teams should raise a formal support case if they need urgent assistance.