cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start Pulse Secure Client from command line, i.e. without a browser

Highlighted
New Contributor

How to start Pulse Secure Client from command line, i.e. without a browser

Fairly simple question: I want to start the pulse-secure client gui from the command line.  I am currently still connecting using (what I think in a now out-dated) dsNetworkConnect.exe.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: How to start Pulse Secure Client from command line, i.e. without a browser

We can trigger the Pulse Client connections through CLI using Pulse Launcher tool - https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/KB23158/?kA1j0000000FjG0

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Pulse Secure\JamUI\Pulse.exe" -show  >>> will open the GUI from CMD.

PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert
Highlighted
New Contributor

The article you link to describes pulseLauncher.  From what I have read, this is an insecure way to start a VPN session: it seems you must put your password (in clear text) on the command line, and then it is subsequently trivial to examine a process' command line.  "pulse.exe -show" launches the gui, but the user must then click through a few buttons until the password is requested.  I would prefer enough command line control to start PulseSecure and provide all information (mainly connection name) - EXCEPT the password (and possibly userName, since the GUI seems to store that with the connection information) - from the command line, and then have a single, simple GUI pop up and ask me to provide the password.  Is this possible?

Highlighted

@davidimcintosh yeah, pulselauncher will require password argument to be passed as part of the command. You may create a custom program that will take password as stdin and pass it to the pulselauncher as an argument..

PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert
Highlighted
New Contributor

r@yElr3y wrote:

...a custom program that will take password as stdin and pass it to the pulselauncher as an argument..

But that argument is still visible in any decent process monitor program, still easily accessible to any malware.  So unfortunately, this does not solve the problem.