cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Pulse Client does not work with curl 7.74

chiwanpark
New Contributor

Re: Linux Pulse Client does not work with curl 7.74

What is the version of OpenSSL installed? The problem posted in Github (https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/6306#issuecomment-743482814) is related to OpenSSL >= 1.1.0.

In Arch Linux with curl 7.74 and OpenSSL 1.1.1, pulseUi of 9.1R10 (b5655) crashes as already posted. If curl is downgraded to 7.73, pulseUi does not crash.

je-vv
Occasional Contributor

r@yElr3y, can you please confirm what openssl version is used in combination with curl 7.74, on your lates upgraded ubuntu?  Failure seems to happen only with openssl >= 1.1.0.

r@yElr3y

@chiwanpark @je-vv OpenSSL 1.1.1f + curl 7.74

image.png

PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert
chiwanpark
New Contributor

r@yElr3yYour libcurl is 7.68.0 which pulseUi works well.

je-vv
Occasional Contributor

So, in brief, 9.1R10 (tested by @chiwanpark on Arch) doesn't help at all when using curl 7.74 as a dependency.

Though Ubuntu 19.10 can use the curl 7.74 tool, it still uses libcurl 7.68, which is what pulse-secure links with.  In the case of Arch and Arch based distros, the curl package is not split, so the application and the library keep the same version, as opposed to Ubuntu.  Bottom line, we still have the problem with pulse-secure linking with or using curl 7.74.

kyudo
New Contributor

I am also affected by this error although thanks to the archlinux community, there is a workaround for now. The main problem is, that such problems with the pulse secure client do mostly affect experience linux users and pulse secure users, but no admins. Working in a multinational company with >100k employees also makes it hard to actually find a responsible person with contact to pulse secure. Most likely, they will also ignore the needs of those linux users who do not use the company's standard OS, especially if they don't know linux themselves.

However, listening to the needs of those experienced linux users would also help PulseSecure to become a more solid solution. Unfortunately, it seems to be impossible to get in contact with the company like the libcurl developers recently found out.

je-vv
Occasional Contributor

Are no devs or no one from the company paying attention to these forums?  I find that somehow disappointing.  Pretty much no support unless coming from a big shot from a client company's IT...  This seems really sad, where real users are just left alone...

zanyterp

how does the installed version of curl impact pulse or vice versa?
what is needed to try and replicate this?
zanyterp

i do not know if the developers are paying attention to the forums. i am trying to get this replicated on both arch and at least one of the supported client versions so that i can present this to them for review.
r@yElr3y

@je-vv any way install libcurl 7.74 on my ubuntu machine for testing the setup, I cannot seem to cross that version, tried remove and purge commands.

Also, I did not see Arch-Linux listed as a supported OS for Pulse Client, and it is not based on Debian or any other linux distributions which makes me to think that if this issue is replicable with Ubuntu or any other supported OS, then our developers would be looking into it or else this will be considered as an enhancement request.

@zanyterp Isn't that correct?

PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert