cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Secure blocks Windows 10 apps from internet access

New Contributor

Pulse Secure blocks Windows 10 apps from internet access

I am using the Windows Pulse Secure Desktop client version 5.1.3. Many apps from the Windows Store are blocked from accessing the internet when I connected to a VPN session, including the Windows Store. Some apps, like email work, but most third party apps are blocked. This also includes extensions in Edge, although Edge works.

Is there a work-around for this? Or a new version of the client that fixes this issue?
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Pulser

Re: Pulse Secure blocks Windows 10 apps from internet access

I have Windows 10 and I am using pulse 5.1R4 and haven't encountered the same issue.
Windows 10 has been supported on pulse secure desktop version 5.1R4 and above. Refer to following KB for more information.

https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/kb29856

is this happening only when the tunnel is up OR does it happen when you "simply" install?
New Contributor

This only happens when the VPN is connected. When I disconnect or suspend the connection, everything works fine.

Are these applications connecting to the same network resources as the ones that work or are they internet-facing applications?
If you check for internet connectivity, does the Pulse connection show as "internet access" or "no internet access"?
New Contributor

I see three networks when I am connected with the VPN. The first is my work domain network and it says 'Internet Access'. The second is my home wifi and it says 'No internet access'. The third is 'Unidentified Network' and it also says 'No internet access'.
Not applicable

Hi Rob,
did you solve the internet connection problem with Pulse Secure, because I have the same behaviour on my new notebook under Windows10 and Pulse Secure 5.3.1. As soon as I am establishing the VPN with Pulse Secure, Windows 10 says "No internet connection". When I exit Pulse Secure, the internet is available again.
Regards, Berthold
New Contributor

No solution so far and no real response from Pulse on the issue.
Not applicable

I also get the same behavior and it actually prevents the client from connecting to the VPN. I get an error 1413 (because it can't get the DNS). I then hard-coded the DNS and all it does is try to connect over and over and while it does this there is no internet access. A solution is needed quickly.
Highlighted
Pulser

It sounds like the administator has not enabled splt tunneling so all traffic is going over the VPN to the internal network so you cannot access the internet sites if it is not allowed via the internal network.

https://docs.pulsesecure.net/WebHelp/PCS/8.3R1/Home.htm#PCS/PCS_AdminGuide_8.3/About_VPN_Tunneling.h...

"With VPN tunneling, the client’s machine effectively becomes a node on the remote (corporate) LAN and becomes invisible on the user’s local LAN; the system serves as the Domain Name Service (DNS) gateway for the client and knows nothing about the user’s local LAN."

So once the tunnel is up, the DNS servers configured on the PCS are used by the client and if they do not resolve the hostname you are attempting to contact then you will get DNS failures.