Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse client update - 9.1.1 to 9.1.9 - is a reboot always required

davidnelson
New Contributor

Pulse client update - 9.1.1 to 9.1.9 - is a reboot always required

Hi,

I am trying to update around 650 end clients from 9.1.1 to the latest Pulse Secure client (9.1.9) but post update their connections are empty until they reboot. (Intune managed devices)

Is there a way to perfom this upgrade without a reboot?  (maybe a flag or option in the installation line?)

Thanks

David

9 REPLIES 9
davidnelson
New Contributor

Re: Pulse client update - 9.1.1 to 9.1.9 - is a reboot always required

actually - I cant seem to stop the reboot:

The process msiexec.exe has initiated the restart of computer AZWEWSxxxxxxx on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x80030002
Shut-down Type: restart
Comment: The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Pulse Secure 9.1.9 fresh install'.

Ive asked the packaging tool not to reboot post install but looks like I cant prevent it.. Is there something I could pass in the install tool or does it simply always need to reboot?

Thanks

David

davidnelson
New Contributor

Hi,

I can stop the automatic reboots (using intuneWinapp / win32 app) but looks like the user still needs to reboot the entire device before the PS app is fully functional again. 

Is there anyway to upgrade without an immediate reboot?

Thanks

David

r@yElr3y

@davidnelson How the Pulse Client updates were delivered to the user machines? will the upgrade use MSIEXEC command in the background with /norestart swtich?

PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert
DaveG
Contributor

Just wondering if there was a solution to this.

if we deploy using Intune, even with the no restart option, it looks like the Pulse service needs to be restarted before it will see the configuration file.

It definitley picks up elements of the config file because the test users can't create connections.

r@yElr3y

@DaveG Do we see the same behavior when upgrading the client through semi-automatic method i.e web browser push or accepting the upgrade prompt?

PCS Expert
DaveG
Contributor

Hi r@yElr3y , no. I suspect the issue is the preconfig file. If we do a normal update via the PSA, afaik this will update the Pulse Client but not touch the connections.

If I use Intune and push out Pulse with no preconfig file, the system doesn't require a reboot. So it seems that the preconfig file is the one which needs the Pulse service at least to reboot?

It would be brilliant if that could be factored in during the install.

r@yElr3y

@DaveG Are you pushing the 9.1R9 client with preconfig file eventhough 9.1R1 client is installed? which is not required, correct? 9.1R1 should just upgrade to 9.1R9 by retaining the present connections...

If I use Intune and push out Pulse with no preconfig file, the system doesn't require a reboot. - Is this during the upgrade or clean of 9.1R9 client?

PCS Expert
DaveG
Contributor

Hi r@yElr3y Yes. We created a new config file to ensure all staff members will use the same one.

After this, future Pulse Client installs won't need to use the preconfig so the issue shouldn't happen.

It would be great if we could force a connection set onto any device (base on role/realm), that connects to the PSA, rather than needing to configure the client. It's an odd design choice.

r@yElr3y

@DaveG Right. So far, the design to convert an unmanaged client to managed is by either pushing the config through jamcommand or web browser launch.

PCS Expert