cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS .. Unauthorized new route ... disconnecting

Highlighted
New Contributor

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS .. Unauthorized new route ... disconnecting

About 15 times a day the pulse client (running on Linux 18.04) disconnects. In the log I see:

rmon.error Unauthorized new route to 169.254.0.0/0.0.0.0 has been added (conflicts with our route to 0.0.0.0), disconnecting (routemon.cpp:598)

Is this typical of the pulse client on Linux?

Is there a workaround or configuration change to prevent the issue?

Is this a bug in the pulse Linux client?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS .. Unauthorized new route ... disconnecting

Oh by the way I am using DHCP.

I did find:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pulse_Connect_Secure#Unauthorized_new_route_has_been_added,_dis...

Which suggests using NetworkManager can fix the problem, but my IT tells me I cant use that because it does not support the host checker.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Eventually I found:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/893097/how-to-get-rid-of-169-254-0-0-route

I followed the suggestion of commenting out just the "route add" lines and now dont get the Unauthorized new route...

... BUT I now get a slightly less frequent disconnect with the following messages in the log:

rmon.info got a netlink route update: type = 21 (routemon.cpp:351)
rmon.error interface with addr NNN.NNN.N.N went down! (routemon.cpp:392)
session.info disconnecting from ive xxxxxxx.com with reason 6 (session.cpp:633)

Another side effect of the change I made is that I dont have to reboot in order to connect the pulse client again.

Can someone PLEASE help me with what is going on here (wrt the new log errors).. and possible solutions? Can I configure my networking to ignore netlink route updates?

Highlighted

Based on the recent log excerpts, it seems like the physical interface gets disconnected which causes the VPN tunnel to drop. Any idea why the physical interface flaps?

PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hmmm .. maybe modem issues. Up until now I have not seen any dropped connections, but others in my household have in the past.