cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win10 running Pulse Secure VPN client Error 1453 when trying to VPN out to Juniper SRX 300 Gateway

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Win10 running Pulse Secure VPN client Error 1453 when trying to VPN out to Juniper SRX 300 Gateway

Hello all,

We're newcomers in the Pulse Secure/Juniper Community and technology as well seeking assistance for a resolution of a problem summarized in the subject of this post.

Our desktops/laptops  are running Win10 ver 1803 (OS Build 17134.590).

The Pulse secure VPN client installed on the Win10 machines is v. 9.0.2 (1151). We didn't buy Pulse Secure VPN client. We downloaded a copy of it from Pulse Secure's site and we use it with a license that comes by default with the purchase of an SRX 300.

When we restart the SRX gateway  error 1453 goes away but it comes back about 12-15  hrs later. We are actively troubleshooting the problem on the Juniper side but we would like to bounce this issue to Pulse Secure Community, just in case someone else has experienced something similar and has an advise/recommendation how to resolve it [request1].

We called Pulse Secure tech support but the moment we tell them we're VPN out to a Juniper hardware product they immediately point us to Juniper tech support.

To the best of your knowledge should we dismiss this as a Pulse Secure related issue and focus on the SRX or Pulse Secure client may be also part of it ? [request 2]

Thanks

Stavros

19 REPLIES 19
Occasional Contributor

Re: Win10 running Pulse Secure VPN client Error 1453 when trying to VPN out to Juniper SRX 300 Gatew

The body of network connection error 1453 reads as follows:

Netwrok errors can be caused by temporary conditions such as an invalid URL , a server not available, and so on. Please try the operation again. Restart your system and try the operation again. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator.  

Re: Win10 running Pulse Secure VPN client Error 1453 when trying to VPN out to Juniper SRX 300 Gatew

Hi Stavros,

Start detailed level logging on the Pulse client, annotate with any random text string, capture the traffic on client machine using wireshark (also on SRX device, if possible) and try to replicate the issue.

You can annotate with different strings for different attempts, so that, i can focus the correct one.

Send me the packet dump(s) and pulse client logs for review.

Thanks,
Ray.
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert
Occasional Contributor

Thx for the prompt reply Ray,

I know the error will come back sooner or later. I'll run the collection jobs as soon as I get an opportunity and provide more content for review per your advice.

Please bear with me as I'm working 2 jobs and I'll have to time this exercise properly, i.e., outside regular business hrs, during which Pulse Secure VPN client must work seamlessly per user's expectations.

Stavros

Hi Stavros,

Thank you for the response.

I understand. Please update the thread once you have the files for review, will wait for your update.

Thanks,

Ray.

Unfortunately, yes, it should be worked with Juniper. They _may_ reach out to us for assistance as-needed.
I do not believe that 9.0R2 is qualified against the SRX; if you use 5.1, does the connection succeed?
Occasional Contributor

Hello zanyterp,

Thx for your comments.

BLUF

Rest assure, I made an honest effort to get a copy of Pulse Secure version 5.1 but I came out empty handed.

If a ping pong ball had feelings they could match mine when I was literally bouncing from a Juniper tech support call to a Pulse Secure one requesting a copy of ver. 5.1.

Each rep was politely referring me to the other. In the end the Pulse Secure rep recommended a 3-way call which I'll attempt tomorrow evening in hopes we'll find out which Co is more suited to help.

Although I have a verified accnt with both Cos and despite the fact a Juniper URL surfaced from a  Google search with a download link to ver5.1 their tech support couldn't help me go past the msg I was getting saying I needed more privileges to download it.

So I dug into our SW depot and I found a copy of ver. 5.2r6.0-b977 which I installed on another Win10 machines and tried VPN out to the SRX, since the VPN connection on the original Win10 machine with Pulse Secure ver 9.x had started failing connecting, but I got the same network connection error 1453.

If, by any chance, you are aware of a web location I can get a copy of ver 5.1 I would appreciate sharing it with me, otherwise I'll try to get one as an outcome of the 3-way call tomorrow night. If the ver. 5.1 test fails then I'll prepare a set of dumps and logs for a deeper technical investigation per Ray's request. 

I hope this sounds like a plan. Thank you all for spending time to help us.

More to come.

Stavros

Hi Starvos,

Please try to capture debug logs on the SRX device as well, along with the packet captures.

@zanyterp: Will the SRX debug logs be encrypted, like the Pulse Secure device?

Thanks,
Ray.

@Ray, i am not sure. i have never seen an SRX debug log (and was not aware that they had one). i _think_ their logs are plain text; but i don't know.

@stavrosk you should be able to download it from the support site by logging in to my.pulsesecure.net, clicking on downloads>Pulse Secure>Pulse Connect Secure>Pulse Secure Desktop Client>End of Engineering and scrolling to the end of the list.
If that does not work, or the conference call did not yield a positive result, please PM me your email address and I can send you a link through our secure file share portal.

unfortunately, even when we were with juniper, the SRX connection was always worked by the SRX team and not the Pulse desktop team. as I re-read your original post: am I reading your note correctly that it works for ~12 hours and then stops accepting connections? that sounds like the VPN process (?) is dead/hung. maybe @spuluka or one of the other community members has worked with the SRX more and has an idea.

sorry!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for your reponses,

BLUF: The hunt for Pulse Secure VPN client ver 5.1 over the phone was fruitless

In a nutshell, Juniper requires us to purchase a support contract that would bypass their Tier 1 phone tech support and unlock access to their technical group more suited to discuss VPN technical issues with Pulse Secure's engineers and not front line tech support.

BLUF: In response to @zanyterp download directions https://my.pulsesecure.net/ doesn't provide the access you described when we login to it.

When we login to https://my.pulsesecure.net/ we get on an onboarding pg with 2 choices

1. On-boarding: Customers and Partners

2. On-boarding: Partners enrolled in the "Support Partner Program"

and  various text boxes requesting my name, address, phone numb and whether

I am... *
a vADC Customer

not a vADC Customer

At this point we have only 2 choices, either click 1 and get redirected to a pg that requires "Authorization Code from Right To Use (RTU) Certificate or RMA Case Number" I wouldn't have

or fill in my personal info [which is fine], except, when I select any of the vADC customer choice I get prompted for a S/N of Pulse Secure device the system probably assumes I own but I don't. 

Either way I'm unable to go forward at my.pulsesecure.net

BLUF: Pulse Secure VPN client ver. 5.1r4.0 doesn't resolve our connectivity issue

As an alternative, I reached out to friends and past colleagues and I got a valid copy of Pulse Secure ver. 5.1r4.0 which I tried this morning receiving the familiar connection error 1453. 

@zanyterpthe answer to your Q is yes. Pulse Secure client stays alive for about 12 - 15 hrs and then it drops the connection to the VPN. Concur, the VPN process fails somewhere so we have to monitor it close enough to collect enough info for troubleshooting.

We don't see any way to engage Juniper in this exercise other than purchasing a support contract and take a deep dive with their engineers and get to the bottom of this.

Requesting permission to leave this thread open so we can add more content about this case, mainly to assist others who may have, or will have, the same connectivity issue, but also for the education of the greater community.

Next, I'll share our findings about the format of the auto generated SRX debug logs.

Thanks again,

Stavros