cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Search Index "Working on it..." message if not connected to PS VPN

New Contributor

Windows 10 Search Index "Working on it..." message if not connected to PS VPN

Hi,

I am running PS Client version 9.1.4(1883) on a Dell XPS 9550 (16Gb RAM/512Mb SSD) Windows10 20H2 19042.685. After I boot up and Pulse Secure loads, before I connect to the VPN I have problems with Windows File Explorer. If I open a File Explorer window for This PC or Quick Access, I receive a "Working oin it..." messge and the Explorer window hangs. If I go to another directory, file types are not recognized (blank/white square file icons) and I cannot conduct any file operations.

I check Windows services and the app shows that Windows Search is running. If I run the search diagnostic as an administrator from the command line (msdt.exe /id DearchDiagnostic) the troublehooter will not complete operations if I am not in a VPN session. The diagnostic will complete when I am connected and will report and fix Windows Search not running error, and will compete after I end a VPN session by reopoting that the troubleshooter has fixed Windows Search not running error.

I also experience the same behavior with a Dell Latitude 12 7275 running the same version iof windows. This issue make it extremely cumnbersome to program/code/conduct tasks when not in a VPN session...basically I have to be connected at all times to have a functioning PC.

Has anyone else experienced problems with Windows Search/File Explorer after boot and prior to initiating a Pulse Secure VPN session?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Windows 10 Search Index "Working on it..." message if not connected to PS VPN

@MFitz I'm using the same Windows 10 20H2 build in my lab machine with 9.1R8 PDC installed and haven't noticed any such issues. It seems like PC resources are busy doing something, and weirdly it's not happening when connected to VPN.

Can you please check the disk utilization using resource monitor during VPN on/off?

PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert
New Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Search Index "Working on it..." message if not connected to PS VPN

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I do not see any substantial CPU or Disk Utilization after boot, during a PS VP session, after a PS VPN session. My resource observations are as follows:

1. Boot: 1-2% Highest active time. Open file explorer, “Working on it” error message, Highest active time under Disk activity resource monitor menu unchanged.

2. Establish PS VPN connection: File explorer “Working on it” error message resolved. Highest active time under Disk activity resource monitor menu unchanged.

3. Close PS VPN connection: File explorer “This PC” green status bar slowly progresses, never completes. Highest active time under Disk activity resource monitor menu unchanged.

4. CPU utilization 0% 3-5 minutes after boot for all instances referenced above. I di not see any significant utilization by the Windows Search process.

I am running Norton Antivirus and Malwarebytes on all of my machines. I have a Gigabyte/i7-47900K/16Gb RAM which has the same PS/NAV/MB configuration that does not have any problems. I'm thinking that the search index is trying to index the network drives when not connected or the service is stopped when not connected. If I un-map the network drives, the system responds normally. I map network drives via file explorer, map network drives. 

I assumed that there would be a simple configuration error I could correct. I map multiple WAN drives in support of several locations. If a simple solution is not available I will likely have to write a Powershell script for non-persistent drive mapping (New-SmbShare?/New-PSDrive?)

Matt