cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question on installing app on older phone.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Newbie question on installing app on older phone.

Hi all.

Please bear with me as I am totally new to this subject, my knowledge on it is about zero and I do not currently have access to the helpful info issued by my employer to provide specific details, but I will try to explain my question as best I can.

My question is related to remote working and I understand that the way it works is that one of your apps is downloaded and installed from GooglePlay? and every time I wish to log onto to my PC, I would be issued a new code via the app which I would then use to log on.

If it is an older phone which your latest app does not support (version 4.3 Android for example), do I just download an older app from yourselves or external website and install that instead? If so, is any kind of registration/login still required with Google?

Also, is an Internet connection only required on the phone in the individual instances where a new code is required or does there need to be a connection to the Internet for the entire duration of the session whilst working on the PC?

Sorry for not being able to be more specific and thank you for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Newbie question on installing app on older phone.

Since Google Authenticator and Pulse Client are two different applications which has to be installed on the mobile device to make it work, right... G.Auth for token generation & Pulse Client for VPN.

If you've Pulse Client installed, then you can try to install Google Authenticator from the play store or you can install/side-load both applications using direct APK file i.e old version which is compatible with your phone version, if the Google Playstore states that you're phone is incompatible.
PCS Expert
Pulse Connect Secure Certified Expert

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Pulse Secure client is used for connecting to VPN servers for creating secure virtual tunnel for accessing the corporate resources, and it is not an application which would generate one-time tokens for login purpose as you've described.

Do you know the name of the application that you wish to use, by any chance?

PCS Expert
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Ray.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, I don't. Maybe I've got it wrong; I remember some sort of Google process being required so it could be that it's Google related and not PulseSecure but from what I can remember, PulseSecure did play some part.

Sorry again for the inconvenience; I'll post back after I can look at the documentation again at work, which should be in a few days.

Thank you again.

No worries!

You could be referring to "Google Authenticator" application, used for generating one-time tokens and that does not require an active Internet connection for token generation. Used to login to Pulse Secure VPN if TOTP based authentication was enabled on the VPN server.

PCS Expert
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks Ray; that sounds like it could be it as it is VPN.

If it is, with regards to Pulse Secure VPN, do I need to worry about the OS version on the phone (as stated in my original post) or is all that handled on the non-phone side / server side of the process?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Since Google Authenticator and Pulse Client are two different applications which has to be installed on the mobile device to make it work, right... G.Auth for token generation & Pulse Client for VPN.

If you've Pulse Client installed, then you can try to install Google Authenticator from the play store or you can install/side-load both applications using direct APK file i.e old version which is compatible with your phone version, if the Google Playstore states that you're phone is incompatible.
PCS Expert

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Newbie question on installing app on older phone. (SOLVED)

Thanks Ray; I think you've answered my query.