cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign group/range of VLANs using 802.1x

OliverG_
Not applicable

How to assign group/range of VLANs using 802.1x

Hello, i am currently using Windows 2008 NAP server to assing a single VLAN to a device connected to a port of switch. This is equal to set a port to access mode and a specific vlan. Assignment is done by group membership in AD. The device therefore presents its certificate.

Now, i wondering if there is a way toset a port to trunk mode and assign multiple vlans the same way.

4 REPLIES 4
kalagesan_
Super Contributor

Re: How to assign group/range of VLANs using 802.1x

Hi Oliver,

You can use UAC infranet controller for layer 2 802.1x authentication with radius return attribute policy. Assigning static VLANs , opene port and VLAN radius attributes are configurable in IC  admin UI under network access.

Its up to to switch  to decide assigning VLAN based on the return attributes from IC ( radius server)

Regards,

Kannan

RadiusAttributes
Contributor

hi ;

802.1x works only access port  , if you make a port trunk , it'ld not worki

thanks

muttbarker_
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I don't understand how your request would even work. The communication chain is between the switch and the associated access port based on the users starting up an 802.1x conversation. How would the trunk ports ever get into the mix and why would you want to dynamically assign VLAN's to trunk ports based on NAP settings?

Raveen_
Regular Contributor

I dont think you should be able to enable dot1x on a trunk port!

What is the make of the switch that you are using?

Does your switch allow you to configure dot1x onto a trunk port?

If you are looking to assign auth-reject/guest/voice/MAB(Bypass) vlan for a access port, then it is a switch side configuration.

What is your use-case? Can you explain?

Regards,

Raveen