cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show current session on radius cluster 7.2.4?

SOLVED
dungtran_
Occasional Contributor

How to show current session on radius cluster 7.2.4?

Hi all!

I want show current session of mobile station on radius cluster 7.2.4 but when I show by command ./ShowSession.sh -c . The result display different total subscribers on GGSN because this result include total current session and stale session. How to show only current session ?

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kalagesan_
Super Contributor

Re: How to show current session on radius cluster 7.2.4?

Hi Dung,
SBR Carrier tracks the status of user connections that it authenticates in a current sessions table (CST).
Because the CST is based on RADIUS accounting data, the list of active sessions is accurate only if all of
your network access servers (NAS) are configured to support RADIUS accounting.

To accurately track session activity, you need to ensure:
. All clients in your configuration support RADIUS accounting
. All clients are configured to send accounting start/stop messages to SBR Carrier

SBR Carrier sweeps the Current Sessions Table periodically for stale sessions based on StaleSessionTimeoutSecs setting in radius.ini specifies the period.

You may see many stale sessions in the CST if the SBR didn't receive any Radius Accounting Stop message from the GGSN or radius clients
and if the stale session timeout parameters are disabled and not used . Hence you will see both stale sessions and active sessions in CST.

Hope this calrifies your query.

Regards,
Kannan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kalagesan_
Super Contributor

Hi Dung,
SBR Carrier tracks the status of user connections that it authenticates in a current sessions table (CST).
Because the CST is based on RADIUS accounting data, the list of active sessions is accurate only if all of
your network access servers (NAS) are configured to support RADIUS accounting.

To accurately track session activity, you need to ensure:
. All clients in your configuration support RADIUS accounting
. All clients are configured to send accounting start/stop messages to SBR Carrier

SBR Carrier sweeps the Current Sessions Table periodically for stale sessions based on StaleSessionTimeoutSecs setting in radius.ini specifies the period.

You may see many stale sessions in the CST if the SBR didn't receive any Radius Accounting Stop message from the GGSN or radius clients
and if the stale session timeout parameters are disabled and not used . Hence you will see both stale sessions and active sessions in CST.

Hope this calrifies your query.

Regards,
Kannan

View solution in original post

apaul_
Regular Contributor

Hi Dung,

Can you elaborate what do you mean by Current Session and Stale Session ?

The terminology can have different meaning in context of different Nodes.

As Kannan explains, SBR supports stale session timeout, and it specifies the lifetime for a session (phantom record for which a corresponding accounting start packet is received) in the Current Sessions Table before the session expiration timestamp runs out and the session resources are released

dungtran_
Occasional Contributor

Hi all!
I show count of stale sessions follow:

The below KB KB15111 link will show how to query a Steel-Belted Radius Cluster Sessions Database for a count of stale sessions http://kb.pulsesecure.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB15111&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1345637208894#

but result not OK, I see that different timezone between time of OS (UTC+7) and time on mysql of steel belted radius(only UTC) :

mysql> select now();

+---------------------+

| now()               |

+---------------------+

| 2012-09-11 10:49:45 |

+---------------------+

1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select count(*)from Sbr_CurrentSessions;

+----------+

| count(*) |

+----------+

|    35729 |

+----------+

1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select count(*)from Sbr_CurrentSessions where Sbr_ExpirationTime < now();

+----------+

| count(*) |

+----------+

|        0 |

+----------+

1 row in set (0.00 sec)

The result always as 0. I thinks not OK because I count  session that had  many session duplicate sbr_callingstationid:

select count(*) from Sbr_CurrentSessions group by sbr_callingstationid having count(*)>1 ;

|        2 |

+----------+

5543 rows in set (6.36 sec)  

can you send solution to fix this issuse for me ?

Thanks for support!

Dzung

apaul_
Regular Contributor

Hi Dung,

Multiple Sessions in SBR current session table for the same calling_station_id is due to missing stop.

That is if the stop message is not received at SBR, the session will remain in SBR CST till the configured StaleSessionTimeout occurs.