cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Policy Secure, licensing and physical v virtual

New Contributor

Pulse Policy Secure, licensing and physical v virtual

The Pulse sales guy probably won't get back to us until next week because of a huge show most of the industry is at next week which sucks but there you go.

Does anyone know what counts as a license required with Policy Secure please? Is it a machine running a supplicant or literally any device being authenticated even if it's only MAC bypass?

Also we were told we should probably expect the virtual appliance to cost more than physical which seems ass backwards but the reasoning they gave was that with the physical appliance if you do ever need to upgrade it you have to rip n replace the licenses whilst the virtual appliance has a huge capacity so once you've purchased it's very unlikely you'd replace.

I hate licensing Smiley Sad

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Pulse Policy Secure, licensing and physical v virtual

Ok, there is no single answer for this.

A couple questions:

1.  What type of clients are connecting to PPS?  Pulse Client, Native 802.1X supplicant, Web Browser?

2.  What is the primary use for PPS?

3.  Are you going to use a local license server or leverage PCLS (for virtual instances)?

The answers will inform my answers.

Thanks

Craig Brauckmiller

Escalation Manager

Pulse Secure

Highlighted

Re: Pulse Policy Secure, licensing and physical v virtual

I can't speak to pricing, but there are three ways you can license a physical box.

1.  Perpetual licenses (lifetime of the box).  The keys are tied to the hardware and cannot be transferred.

2.  Subscription licenses that expire after 1, 2 or 3 years.

3.  Local license server that passes out seat licenses out of a large pool of seats.  This is useful in large environments when you want to redistribute your seat counts between your appliances.

For an overvew of licensing, read through this:

https://www.pulsesecure.net/download/techpubs/current/1224/pulse-policy-secure/pps/9.0rx/ps-pcs-pps-...