Did you mean: 

SBR 6.1

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

SBR 6.1

Hi

i getting this error message in logs

12/14/2012 15:01:42.217 Failed to initialize cache, discarding accounting request

12/14/2012 15:01:42.245 Failed to initialize cache, discarding accounting request

my radius.ini configuration for accounting this

Auth-Flood-Queue-Shape          = FIFO
Max-Auth-Floods                 = 10000
Max-Auth-Threads                = 1000
Max-Auth-Threads-In-Flood       = 500
LogHighResolutionTime           = YES
SendOnlyOneClassAttribute       = 1
WorkerThreadStackSize           = 327680
Acct-Flood-Queue-Shape          = FIFO
Max-Acct-Floods                 = 10000
Max-Acct-Threads                = 1500
Max-Acct-Threads-In-Flood       = 500

how i can tune-up  radius.ini file  so this error can disapear.

i think i need to increase the values for accounting i have T2000 and V215 with Sun Solaris (SBR 6.1 SPE)

Thanks

Abdul  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: SBR 6.1

Dear All

i m using oracle for accounting only, while for auth i m using ldap, so i  would like to change with following

Acct-Flood-Queue-Shape = FIFO
Max-Acct-Floods = 10000
Max-Acct-Threads = 1500
Max-Acct-Threads-In-Flood = 500

what math or forumala required to increase , is it based on Mem/CPU.

Thanks

Abdul

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Abdul,

With regards to your configuration, please inform why there are so many threads configured for Accounting? Please know that you will run out of memory after a while as these threads are stored in memory.

Failed to initialize cache, discarding accounting request

This message could be an indicator that your have exhausted your memory and/ or CPU utilization. Please review this by using the prstat command in Solaris.

Also, please review your configuration as this may be excessive for your amount of traffic. Do you know what your transactions per second are? Also, what else are you performing for these Accounting transactions, i.e. SQL plug-in?

Regards,

Jason Frantz

SBR Carrier

Juniper Technical Support

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

"Failed to initialize cache, discarding accounting request" means that SBR received an apparent duplicate of a request that is currently still being processed.  You will see this message when there is a bottleneck of some sort on the back end and the NAS starts to send retries.  Typically the root cause is a slow proxy target or SQL database.  SBR will wait for the response and avoid processing duplicate requests in parallel.

I would investigate that end of things.  Increasing threads is not a good solution as it can lead to resource exhaustion, as Jason points out.

Regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi

this was configured in 2009 with help jtac that we were using mysql as database, becuse

due to  bursts are more than 2400 requests per second or else the MYSQL server used by SBR to write Accounting request is slow so we have problems handling the request quick enough when that burst comes in. now we are shifted our database on oracle RAC which better then mysql my question how we can configure radius.ini for oracle(Oracle RAC) and this causing my SRC (SAE) overload queue.

i m getting this error messages in huge amount  on AAA

12/14/2012 15:01:42.217 Failed to initialize cache, discarding accounting request

12/14/2012 15:01:42.245 Failed to initialize cache, discarding accounting request

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brain,

I agree with you, but thing is in my case NAS is my SRC (C3000), and it saying queue overload to SBR not responding.  SBR(SBR 6.1 SPE with EAP-TLS) in somehow have issue with queue, because backend database is quite to efficient (Oracle RAC 11g). also when i restart SBR service it start serving for few horus, but again repilcated. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hello Abdul,

The "Failed to initialize cache, discarding accounting request" error you are receiving indicates that the request that was just received is still being processed.  That means the request is taking longer to process than the time out on the NAS and the NAS is retransmitting the request.  If this is happening due to a large burst in traffic you may want to consider increasing the number of connections to the database.  That may eliminate a bottleneck.  

-Vin

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

This message could be an indicator that your have exhausted your memory and/ or CPU utilization,

this box is V215, many time it cored(memory leak) in past days,

i m looking for intrim solutions, also in database  i could see few interums or start/stop missing.

Thanks

Abdul

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Vin,

i m using oracle 10g Client with oracle 11g (RAC), due you want me to increase me client on radius.

Thanks

Abdul

Contributor

Hi Abdul,

You might be able to add capacity to the Oracle database by increasing MaxConcurrent in your configuration file in SBR.  This will add connections to the database and allow SBR to send more concurrent requests.  

You should note that this will increase the load on the database server.

Jon

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hello Abdul,

You will need to look at the response time vs the request rate for the messages going to the database.  If the response time you are receiving for messages is not fast enough to keep up with the traffic in a flood condition and the database is fast enough to handle the traffic the number of connections may be your bottleneck.

If you find the number of connections to be inadequate then increasing them might help.  However if the database is the bottleneck increasing connections will not help.

Br,

Vin