cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Pulse Client as a 802.1x supplicant...

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Using Pulse Client as a 802.1x supplicant...

Hello,

I am trying to use the Pulse Client as a windows 802.1x supplicant.  Can it be a standalone supplicant or does it need to use the Windows Native Supplicant in order to work?

The reason behind this is that I want to use a single license instead of multiple licenses as I am now.

Currently, my users authenticate to the network via 802.1x at L2 and we want to do resource policies using our SRX as an enforcer at L3.

The issue is that this takes up two licenses.  Is it possible to bundle the entirety of this up using the Pulse Client for Windows?

GL

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Using Pulse Client as a 802.1x supplicant...

Hi Glaberge,

Pulse 802.1x supplicant needs native windows supplicant for Layer 2 connection however you can same pulse to connect for both Layer 2 and layer 3 connection for firewallenforcement.

You can establish L2 & l3 connection for a user and as per my understanding it should be consuming only one license

Hope this resolves your query.

Note: If I have answered your questions, you could mark this post as accepted solution, that way it could help others as well. Kudo will be a bonus thanks!

Regards,
Kannan

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Kannan.

Ultimately, a ticket with JTAC gave me my answer.  Unfortunately, it looks like you can only do certificate based authentication with the Pulse Client at L2 which doesn't work for my purposes.  Not a big deal and a lesson learned.

Kudos to you!

GL

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Hi Glaberge,

To Add on my update:

When you use only windows supplicant for 802.1x for Layer 2 connection and pulse for Layer 3 connection UAC will use 2 licenses for this.

However when you use Juniper Supplicants like Pulse or OAC for both L2 & L3 connection on same computer only one license is consumed

Hope this resolves your query.

Note: If I have answered your questions, you could mark this post as accepted solution, that way it could help others as well. Kudo will be a bonus thanks!

Regards,
Kannan

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Hi GL,

From 4.3  UAC version Pulse client also support machine authentication based on AD authserver,apart from Certificate based authentication.

This should help your requirement, Hope this resolves your query

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/ive/releasenotes/j-sa-sslvpn-7.3R1-whatsnew.pdf

Regards,

Kannan

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Kannan - Question for you on this whole 802.1x issue. Will Juniper ever support Pulse 802.1x on OS/X. Same issue as Garett raised. Right now if you want to do 802.1x AND use firewall enforcement you burn two licenses on the UAC box. 

Nice for Juniper - not so nice for customers.