cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache a request even though connection has been closed

coreydickson
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cache a request even though connection has been closed

The client application does not have configurable timeout parameters and is versioned differently across all of our end users.

Unfortunately there is no way to circumvent the default timeout setting so we must compenesate for this issue on our end.

Regards,

Corey

fmemon
Contributor

Corey,

Are you able to identify a request that would take 5-10 mins to complete?  One idea I have is to use Stingray's event handling system to kick off a request, similar to what's done in this article: <a target="_self" href="https://community.brocade.com/t5/Articles/Traffic-Managers-like-to-Tweet-Too-12-15-2008/m-p/23258/highlight/true#M82">Traffic Manager like to Tweet Too</a>.And then create a Perl script similar to the one in the article that uses <a target="_self" href="http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-6.04/lib/LWP.pm">LWP</a> to request the URL.  You can specify a long timeout in LWP.  Upload the Perl script to Stingray under Catalogs -> <span><span>Extra Files -> Action Programs.</span></span>

In the Stingray web UI, navigate to System -> Alerting, click on Manage Event Types, and then scroll down to +Create new event type.  +Select Custom Events -> Some Custom Events -> Add Custom Event and then fill in "Long running request".

Navigate back to +System ->

Alerting +and click on Manage Actions.  Create a new action of type Program.  Select the Perl script you uploaded earlier.

Finally navigate back to System -> Alerting again and select the event type created and assign it the action created in the previous step.

So basically you're identifying the offending URL and then kicking off a program to fetch that request again with a longer timeout.  I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Faisal

coreydickson
Occasional Contributor

Faisal,

This sound like it would fit the ticket.

I'll give this a shot next week and get back to you with details.

As always thanks for the feedback,

Corey

fmemon
Contributor

You're welcome.  If you can't identify the offending URL, another option is to trigger the action off the connection failure.  You would do this selecting Virtual Servers -> General Events -> Information Messages -> connfail when creating the custome event type instead.  The Action would stay the same and you wouldn't have the TrafficScript code snippet I put below.

Faisal