cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the maximum number of nodes per pool on steelapp?

Highlighted
New Contributor

What is the maximum number of nodes per pool on steelapp?

I am new to the Stingray/SteelApp device and have been asked what i thought was a simple question but have not been able to find the answer in any documentation. Does anyone know on a normal Pool of Nodes what the maximum number of Nodes would be? I guess it would depend on the size of the device: We are running 'Stingray Traffic Manager Virtual Appliance 2000 L 9.8r2' I have checked the documentation and all I see about nodes is: Pool nodes This is a group of server machines and ports onto which this pool balances traffic. Nodes can be set to 'draining' by selecting the 'Draining' option from the drop-down State box next to the node's name on this page, or by using the 'Drain a node' wizard. When a node is draining, it will not receive any new connections other than those in sessions already established. To remove a node from a pool safely, it should be drained first. Nodes can also be disabled from this page by selecting 'Disabled' as the node's state. When a node is disabled, all currently established connections to that node will be terminated and no further requests will be sent to it. The node will still remain in the list, ready to be added again when it is needed. Any weighting priorities set in the Load Balancing section will be remembered. Add Node Extra nodes can be added to the pool by entering their hostname (or IP address) and port here, e.g. 'server1.zeus.com:80' So not the detail I am looking for. Kind regards, Z
3 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: What is the maximum number of nodes per pool on steelapp?

I think there is only a practical limit in the number of nodes in a pool - for example, if you have a large number of nodes, all the traffic for all of those nodes will be routed through the Traffic Manager (or cluster of Traffic Managers). Can you share more information about the design which you are considering?

Regards, PaulW, ...

New Contributor

Paul,

Hi, we currently have a cluster of 4 traffic managers and a pool with 6 nodes being serviced in it. Someone from the architect team came and asked me what the maximum number of nodes in a pool could be on our devices. I am not part of the design team just trying to get the information he asked for. We do have this running on one interface so ingress and egress traffic is on the same interface so that may also affect performance. I was just wondering if maybe there is something where you can put in the details of the traffic managers build and nodes that could work out a maximum or until the service degrades. Not even sure if I am asking the right questions.

Kind regards,

Z.

Contributor

Probably best to discuss with your technical contact here, as a lot will depend on your architecture, and this sounds like a large implementation. But the practical limit will be set by the throughput of the systems hosting the traffic managers, and the overall licensed bandwidth. You can also use the graphic analysis to gather data for capacity planning and to test for when the service degrades.

If you are planning to use autoscaling, you can set the maximum number of nodes in the configuration, and Traffic Manager will monitor the SLA to spin new nodes up and down to meet the thresholds.