cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's new in SteelApp Puppet Module 0.6.0?

Contributor

Version 0.6.0 of the Stingray Puppet module is now available on Puppet Forge. This release adds support for local users, permission groups, and failure pools.

Local Users

Local Users are SteelApp Administration Server user accounts that are managed internally by the traffic manager software.  This allows additional users to be created in addition to the pre-built admin user.  To create a new user:

stingray::local_user { 'my_user':

password => '$1$XoqDzcQr$tGjDcW2Fm2VfdsH6zeqrz.'

}

where my_user is the name of the user and the string after password is the hashed password of the new user.  A clear password can also be specified:

password => 'clear_password',

clear_pw => 'Yes'

}

The additional clear_pw parameter specifies that the password in the password field is a clear password. Please note that this is going to be less secure than specifying the hashed password.  A hashed password can be generated:

openssl passwd -1

Permission Groups

Permission Groups are used to restrict what users can do in the SteelApp Traffic Manager. To create a new permission group:

stingray:: permission_group { 'My Group':

persistence => 'full',

rules       => 'none'

}

Where My Group is the name of the group.  In this example, this group gives full access to configure Session Persistence and no access to create rules.  Everything else is read only by default.  The permission group can be assigned to a local user using the groupparameter:

password => '$1$XoqDzcQr$tGjDcW2Fm2VfdsH6zeqrz.',

group    => 'My Group'

}

The default group for local users is the built-in admin group that allows full access to everything.

Failure Pools

If all of the nodes in your pool have failed, requests can be diverted to a failure pool.  A failure pool is configured:

stingray:: pool { 'Fail Pool':

nodes      => ['192.168.22.123:80', '192.168.22.124:80'],

}

stingray:: pool { 'Main Pool':

nodes        => ['192.168.22.121:80', '192.168.22.122:80'],

failure_pool => 'Fail Pool'

}

Failure Pools are configured like regular poos, and then added to a regular pool using the failure_pool parameter. If all the nodes in the Main Pool fail, requests will be directed to the Fail Pool.

For more details on the changes mentioned here please refer to the reference guide. If you're not using SteelApp yet download and try it for free.